Sunday 3 April 2011

Life and New Media

Today's Popular Media Icons
Niall Harbison
http://www.simplyzesty.com/social-media/17482/























Deuze (2011, 137) suggests that as a result of the increase in media we have become a society living in media, rather than with media. In turn influencing every individual’s habits in regards to these media capabilities.
When considering my experiences with media within my everyday life, I can see multiple arguments of this implication. Within the opinion that we are “living in media” there is an idea that we spend more time connecting to other’s virtually rather than in the physical world (Deuze, 2011, 142). I personally see this opinion in two ways.
Firstly, I use new media, including social networking sites, email and my mobile phone to communicate with my friends. This is mostly to organise a “real world” catch-up. I also use these platforms to connect with friends that I don’t have the opportunity to see face-to-face, whether they are overseas, inter-state or too busy.  This shows some use of new media is not centred around a virtual world.
However, my second viewpoint reflects on an experience of being “connected but isolated” (Deuze, 2011, 142). I’ve been out with a friend who has constantly checked and updated Facebook and sent hundreds of text messages. This causes a sense of isolation and does support the opinion of a media life. I however don’t believe I am living completely with or completely in media.

                                                                                                              
References
Deuze, M. 2011. “Media life.Media Culture Society 33: 137-148. Accessed March 30, 2011. doi: 10.1177/0163443710386518 

No comments:

Post a Comment